How to Make New Year’s Goals: 4 Tips to Help You Succeed
How to Make New Year’s Goals So You Can Succeed
It’s almost the New Year again if you can believe it! Time for family, friends, parties, and reflection on the past year. New Year’s resolutions are a great way to set goals and make positive changes in your life.They are a good way to get people excited about making changes. Unfortunately, many people fail to keep their resolutions and end up feeling discouraged. But I want to highlight something that I think is incredibly important… If you aren’t where you want to be in terms of your health, hormones, and overall well-being right now, and you’re waiting for January 1 to get started, there is a 93% chance you’ll be getting ready to start your journey all over again on January 1, 2024.
Let me explain… When we put off change and tackling goals, it sets us up for almost certain failure (93% chance according to research). That’s right, 93% of people will not achieve a goal they set.
And given that my mission is to help people push past goals and truly transform, this kills me! I know you’re probably thinking “but things are just too crazy during the holidays!”
As you may have heard me say before, that’s simply a false story that far too many people believe. If you’re serious about making change in any area of your life, it’s never about tomorrow. It’s about the choices you make moment to moment that really count. Putting things off until January is an extremely dangerous game that almost guarantees failure. So, if you’ve had January 1 in your head to take action, throw that out right now. Be in the 7% that achieve their goals and true transformation.
The good news is that there are ways to increase your chances of success. Let’s discuss why New Year’s resolutions fail and how to succeed with them.
Why New Year’s Resolutions Fail
- Unrealistic Goals: One of the most common reasons why people fail to keep their New Year’s resolutions is because they set unrealistic goals for themselves. Many people make grand promises that are too difficult or time-consuming to achieve in a short period of time, which can lead to disappointment and frustration when they don’t reach their goals.
- Lack of Motivation: Another reason why people fail at keeping their resolutions is because they lack the motivation or willpower to stay on track. It can be easy to get distracted by other things or lose interest in your goal if you don’t have a plan in place to stay motivated and focused on achieving it.
- Not Breaking Down Goals: People often make the mistake of setting one large goal without breaking it down into smaller, more manageable tasks that can be achieved over time. This can make it difficult to stay on track and feel like you’re making progress towards your goal, which can lead to discouragement and giving up altogether.
Try These 4 Tips to Set Your New Year’s Goal for Success
1. Set Realistic Goals: The first step towards success with your resolution is setting realistic goals for yourself that you know you can achieve within a reasonable amount of time. Make sure your goals are specific, measurable, achievable, relevant, and timely (SMART). This will help ensure that you stay motivated and on track with achieving them throughout the year.
2. Create an Action Plan: Once you have set realistic goals for yourself, create an action plan outlining how you will achieve them over time. This should include specific tasks or milestones that need to be completed each month or week in order for you to reach your goal by the end of the year. Having a plan will help keep you organized and motivated as you work towards achieving your resolution each day or week.
3. Track Your Progress: Tracking your progress is key when it comes to staying motivated with your resolution throughout the year. Make sure you take note of any successes or setbacks along the way so that you can adjust accordingly if needed and remain focused on reaching your goal by the end of the year.
4. Celebrate Your Successes: Finally, don’t forget to celebrate any successes along the way! Achieving even small milestones should be celebrated as this will help keep you motivated and remind yourself why it was important for you to set this resolution in the first place!
You know…so many people enter each new year thinking “This is it! This is MY year!” But it’s really not about your year. It’s about the fact that it’s all yours. Every year, every week, every day, and every moment. I’ve seen so many memes shared on social media over the last couple of months that imply people are so ready to be done with 2022 because surely 2023 will bring something better. And those memes appear every single year. Coincidence?
Here’s the deal: You can step up, take control, and shift the course of your life literally at any moment you choose, whether January 1, April 22, or October 19. So, if you never want to look back with regret on the actions you should have taken or how far along you’d be if you just acted sooner, change now.
Take a new action.
Re-commit and start at this very moment.
Because no day of the week or year is the day you should be waiting for.
P.S. If you are ready to take action NOW, you can sign up for my Vibrant Woman Course. You can either take it as a completely self-paced course or you can throw in some 1:1 sessions with me! It’s all up to you and if you’re not sure how to get started or which option is best for you, schedule a free phone chat with me and we can talk about what you’re trying to achieve!